Who can I complain to?

There are different organisations involved in managing complaints about health practitioners or students. The Health Professional Councils Authority (HPCA) is the right place to make a complaint if you are concerned about a health practitioner in NSW behaving in a way...

Who can I complain about?

You can make a complaint about a registered health practitioner or registered student in NSW.
Practitioner information
This section provides information for practitioners about how we manage complaints, and what you can do if a complaint is made about you.

What should I know before making a complaint?

Information about who can make a complaint and the complainant's rights in the complaint process.

Self notify about certain events

A registered health practitioner or student must give the National Board that registered the practitioner or student written notice of the event within seven days after becoming aware that a relevant (notifiable) event has occurred in relation to the practitioner or...
Mandatory notifications
Health practitioners and their employers, as well as education providers, also have mandatory reporting (notifications) responsibilities under the National Law (NSW). Education providers, registered health practitioners and their employers must tell AHPRA if they have...
Reviewing or appealing a decision
Practitioner with conditions imposed on their registration can ask for the conditions to be changed or removed, or a suspension lifted following a review process. Practitioners should seek advice from their professional indemnity insurer or legal representative before...

You have conditions on your registration

Conditions are imposed on your registration only when it is necessary to restrict your registration to protect public safety. The conditions may require you to do something or may limit the way you practice. All conditions are specific to each individual case. Usually...

Conduct pathway

Conduct issues generally relate to behavioural acts or omissions and often go to the question of character. The conduct pathway allows the Council to manage complaints that may constitute unsatisfactory professional conduct or professional misconduct.

Performance pathway

The complaint is referred to our performance program when we agree with the Health Care Complaints Commission (HCCC) that disciplinary action is not warranted, but there may be performance issues to address. This constructive and non-disciplinary program is focused on...